John Paul Jackson

June 22, 1945 ~ November 26, 2018 (age 73)

Our beloved John Jackson was born on June 22, 1945 in San Antonio, Texas. He was adopted at birth by H.R. and Mamie Jackson. He grew up with a love for sports. He graduated from college at Lubbock Christian College, majoring in Physical Education with a minor in Bible. John began calling ball in college as a part-time job, and he never stopped. In March of 1970 he married Jane Poe, and they later had three children: Rebecca, Rachel and Michael. He picked up more ballgames in order to allow Jane to stay home with the kids. He called basketball, softball, and football. He also enjoyed playing softball on the church league.

His work career began with the YMCA as a physical director, scheduling and running sports programs. He later switched to selling sporting goods and loved the people he worked with at the Sports Stop in Little Rock, Arkansas. His dad got ill and John made the decision to move closer to his parents which allowed the kids to see their grandparents more often.  He left the Sports Stop, moved his family to Quinlan, Texas, and took a job at Dalco Athletic where he was the clothing warehouse manager for 17 years before retiring. 
Through all those years he called ball games. When the kids got older and their lives got busier, he cut back to be able to attend all of their activities. He eventually gave up basketball and softball, but football was his passion.  His crew members and friends called him “The Jett”.  He called football games for 42 years, ending his career on his son’s crew.  Friday Night Lights will forever be a little brighter now that The Jett is watching over them. 

John loved retirement. He and Jane traveled as much as they could. Rebecca, Rachel and Michael gave them ten grandkids: Lauren, Dakota, William, John, Hannah, Kaitlynn, Morgan, Keith, Piper, and Allison. And those kids became the focus of his life. He always attended all of the grandkids' activities. When Lauren graduated from high school, he and Jane even moved to Florida and lived with her for the first two years as she got acclimated.  

His devotion to family was never questioned. And he raised all of his children to be very active in church their entire lives. John was raised Church of Christ, but in 1975 he joined the Baptist denomination. He was an active member of Faith Baptist Church in Quinlan, Texas for over 25 years. In 1994 he was ordained a deacon. He served his Lord and church faithfully.  He recently moved to Cumby and became a member of the First Baptist Church in Cumby. He loved it from the moment he first stepped in. He talked constantly of the genuine love of the people and the great meals they enjoyed together. Besides God and his family, John loved three things in life: a good ballgame, good fishing, and a good potluck.

John was preceded in death by his father and mother but survived by his wife, Jane, all of his children, their spouses, all of his grandkids, and his sister Jeannie Ording.
Though John will be missed, he was ready for whenever God called his name. We imagine he’s up in heaven running up and down the field of his dreams, blowing his whistle, and throwing the flag at his kids. And he is most definitely still cheering his grandkids on. 

A memorial service will be held on Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 3:00 P.M. at the First Baptist Church of Cumby, located at 107 West Main, Cumby, Texas 75433  with Bro. James Waskom and Bro. TR Rodgers officiating.  Honorary pallbearers will be Danny Bowmen, Jim Harp, Dean Belcher, Robert Milton, Scott Copeland, Ray Jackson, Willie Jackson, and Richard Jordan 

© 2019 East Texas Funeral Home North Longview Chapel. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS